Fix Internet Explorer Errors
Internet Explorer is an extremely popular browser but unfortunately it does have its fair share of troubles.
Generally most problems can be resolved with a reset, which we will discuss below. However, some errors may need to be fixed by updating your current version of Internet Explorer, or even your current service pack.
Other issues with Internet Explorer can be due to invalid Registry keys. Fixing these is a little tricky and will generally require the use of a Registry cleaning product. If the IE reset below does not work, you can try the download of Total PC Health.
How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings
Problems such as browser instability, crashes or general slowness can be quickly fixed with a reset. This is not always the case, but it is a good place to start and it only takes about a minute.
To Fix Internet Explorer and reset settings, just do the following. Note: This applies to IE7 and IE8.
Open Internet Explorer and click: Tools -> Internet Options, click on the “Advanced” tab.
Alternatively, you can type “inetcpl.cpl” into the quick search box and then click the “Advanced” tab.
You will see the following window:
Click the Reset button under “Reset Internet Explorer Settings”.
When this is done, click “Apply” then “OK”. Now close Internet Explorer. When you re-open, IE will be reset and hopefully your problem has gone away.
When resetting Internet Explorer, these are the items affected:
- Home page
- Search providers, tabbed browsing settings
- Colors, languages, fonts, and accessibility settings (General tab)
- Security settings for all zones (Security tab)
- Advanced tab settings
- Privacy tab settings
- Pop-up blocker, AutoComplete, SmartScreen Filter, and Zoom settings
- Page setup, toolbar, and text size settings
- Feeds settings (sync and notification, not feeds themselves)
- ActiveX controls that are not on the pre-approved list (reset to opt-in state)
- Toolbars, browser helper objects, and browser extensions are disabled