How to Speed Up Windows 7
Windows 7 has nice performance right out of the box, but that doesn't mean we can't boost it even more. Operating systems straight off the shelf are not fully optimized for the best performance. If you want to get some extra oomph out of Windows 7, then try out some of these tweaks. They will vary from system to system, so as always, just test and see what works best.
Get Rid of UAC
UAC is the user access control in Windows 7. It can get quite frustrating. This tweak will save you from pulling your hair out.
BUT, you should keep UAC turned on if you feel the need for it. Most users are much happier with it turned off, but it may lower your security.
To get rid of UAC:
- Open Control Panel -> User Accounts
- Click Change User Account Control Settings
- Now just drag the slider towards the Never notify option.
The Aero theme provides a very nice user interface but it does use up a lot of resources. Turning off Aero is one of the quickest ways to boost performance, especially if your hardware is not too great.
To switch off the Aero theme in Windows 7:
- Right-click on the desktop and select Personalize
- Now you can see Aero themes and basic themes
- Choose something like the Windows 7 basic
- The theme will be applied and performance will improve
Windows 7 uses indxing to help speed up search results. By indexing data, the search results can be retrieved much faster. The trade off is that your system will slow down whenever the indexing is happening and it can be frequently. If you don't do many searches, try turning this off.
To turn off the search indexing in Windows 7.
- Open Control Panel
- Click Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
- Browse the services, under Services and Applications on the left and look for a service called Windows Search
- Double click on this, then set it to disabled. If you ever want to turn it back on, just follow the same steps and set to enabled.